Saturday, February 4, 2012

Trusting the Squid!



I loved the idea from the readings to value students’ thinking. “Creating an atmosphere in where there is a sense of trust makes it possible to help the students reflect on their new experiences and use those reflections to modify their prior knowledge” (68). I hope to create a trust with my students. I want them to take risks in their learning and to challenge their previous ways of thinking. It is so important for teachers to understand how students learn to help create a safe and trusting environment. Teachers need to create science experiences that are engaging, encourage them to express their ideas, listen to students, ask questions, encourage reflection, and scaffold student learning (92).



During our science lesson this week, we were able to dissect a squid! It was so much fun! The lesson was engaging, we asked questions, we listened to each other, and we reflected on our dissection. Science activities like dissecting a squid allow the teacher to build a trust environment with her students. Science can become an experience rather than a lesson. This type of activity also allows students to discover and learn on their own. I love that idea that the teacher is more of a mediator.


I want to use this blog post to write down the steps that we did when dissecting the squid to help me remember when I want to go my own dissection with my class.



1. Draw a picture of what you think a squid looks like.
2. Read information about squids. Students can re-do drawings
3. Given a squid in groups of two. Also given a diagram of the inside of a squid
4. Dissect Squid . Observe.
5. Cut squid down the middle.
6. Peak inside tentacles. Look at the mouth, Pull out mouth/stomach
7. Pull spine out (Cartilage). Use as a pen (Poke a hole in the ink sack).
8. Clean off Skin. Wash in soap water. Eggs. Bread Crumbs. Fry. Yum!






No comments:

Post a Comment